Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

IHD not displaying any electricity readings

posted by jmp303 | A year ago

I had a new smart meter installed on Monday which replaced an old first generation British Gas Smart Meter.  The IHD only displays gas readings.  I called Scottish Power  and they said I need to configure it for dual fuel and to watch the videos on their website.  I have done this and cannot find anyhing that tells me how to do this. I have found artcles on the internet for other energy suppiers that suggest that the electricity meter needs to be configured to join the HAN.  Is this what needs doing and any ideas on how I do it?  Many thanks.

13 comments

posted by Bobby | A year ago
Re: IHD not displaying any electricity readings
For almost exactly one month, my IHD worked on both electricity and gas, except the cost per unit was set wrong and the over budget warning kept flashing up.
The web-site usage graph and meter reading did not update for one month. Then the web-site showed the last 24 days usage for both electricity and gas, but the IHD changed to gas display only. The web-site has shown no usage since and it keeps asking me to enter my meter readings. Initially, the web-site setting is for the meter to send readings one a month, but should be changed to every 30 minutes.
I phoned SP several times about the IHD, but their instructions have not fixed it. And on their chat, one said they (SP) were working on a fix.
I saw a similar issue on the Bulb web-site, it appears Capita manage the wireless network to get meter readings to SP and to update the meters with new software, so it is no surprise it is not working.
Highlighted

posted by diz574 | A year ago

After the first month of displaying both electricity and gas reading, my IHD has stopped showing any electricity information and I can't set an electricity budget. It's as though the meter doesn't know that we're dual-fuel.

I'm not being prompted for any meter readings and I haven't called Scottish Power so far.

It' all a bit disappointing having heard all the hype about smart meters.

Highlighted

posted by Andy-Felixstowe | 2 months ago

Most of the messages in this thread seem to be from 10 months or so ago, but I still have this issue. My Smart Meter was fitted in Dec 2019. The IHD worked well for about a week. Then I had to keep turning it on and off to get it to display the electricity usage. Then it completely stopped doing that. In fact now it doesn't even acknowledge there is an electricity meter - it shows Gas fine. It only shows the gas symbol and if I press the information button it only lists the gas meter. Its as if it has lost it's pairing with the electricity meter. I've stood the IHD in the meter cupboard on top of the electricity meter and it still doesn't work so it's not a signal strength issue. SP customer service told me "its a known problem and the signal has been switched off and a fix is coming". It's now 6 months later and no change. I'm wondering whether my IHD needs to be re-paired with the electric meter, or whether SP have just given up on bothering to fix these. In fact I'm wondering whether the only way I'll ever get it working again is just to switch supplier in October when my tariff comes to an end!!

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 months ago

@Andy-Felixstowe   Hi, your smart system works like this, the gas meter talks to the electric meter, the electric meter talks to SP and the IHD, the IHD does not transmit any data, it only receives information from the electric meter.  If your gas shows up on the IHD it means the system is working, but many firmware upgrades have prevented the IHD showing electricity.  It is a very common problem and one day will get corrected, all suppliers are facing the same issues, there is nothing a customer can do. Switching supplier will only make the situation more complicated and worse for getting the IHD to work.

Highlighted

posted by Bobby | 2 months ago
I was promised it would be fixed this spring, but since all the energy billing companies are waiting on a single data network company (outsourced to Capita) there is a single point of failure and no pressure to fix the problem expediently.

Like you, my IHD worked for a few months, but with the wrong tariff data, so the budget would be exceeded in a few days, then the electricity part disappeared. The SP call centre recited their script to reset the IHD, which blames the customer for the problem - you have sited the IHD too far away - your house is built wrong. If they had just fessed up that the root cause was Capita, I could have stopped worrying about it and put the IHD in a cupboard. Why do we need all these billing companies, if there is only one data source? Ref: https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/about/

My gas reading sometimes upload to SP, but my electricity readings stopped in May 2019, and every month SP send me an email to upload my reading manually. When I called their call centre, they assumed my electricty meter was still communicating, as they were seeing my manual uploads.
Highlighted

A scan through the Smart DCC reports, I did not see any recognition of this problem, or any fix being worked on. SP and the other metering companies are in an impossible position of customers of a single supplied.
Highlighted

@Bobby   Yes you are right DCC is gradually absorbing the 12 million Smets 1 meters, and is already handling the  4 million Smets 2 meters. The transition involving many fuel suppliers and brands of meter has caused Displays to lose contact, and even Meters to stop transmitting.  This is a long saga, eventually about 50 million meters will be on the system, but progress is slow.   The irony is that when smart meters lose their smart function, they are very hard for customers to take readings from.   More education and promotion is needed to tell customers how to get readings from their smart meters.

So do not blame SP, it is an industry problem.    The ultimate goal is to have variable pricing to smooth out demand and enable good management of generation from wind sun and fossil fuels.  Look forward to free electricity on windy days, but also £1 per kWh at times of shortage (exaggerated to make a point)

Highlighted

When the system is finally working, your smart meter should be able to talk to some of your appliances, for example: your water heater might heat to a higher temperature when energy is more available (and cheaper) - the HAN signals which update your IHD can also supply your compatible appliances with the same information.

Other examples:
Electric Vehicle charges faster when energy is cheaper
Unused Rooms kept cooler
Energy Store (batteries or pebble heat store) is used while energy is less available

Energy Hogs:
Electric Vehicle charging
Central Heating
Hot Water

Energy Piglets:
Tumble Dryer
Washing Machine
Hob
Oven
Gaming Console/Computer
Large Screen TV
Freezer
Fridge

Energy Wiener:
Lighting (LED or fluorescent)
Tablet
Phone
IHD
Highlighted

@Bobby    the HAN signals which update your IHD can also supply your compatible appliances with the same information

Haha, lets get the IHDs working first.  Anyway you can control all those functions by using a clever device available on most appliances, its technical name is The Power Switch.

As for smart meters doing the switching I prefer to shout at Alexa, it is quite satisfying.