Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect IHD Info

posted by footeg | 4 months ago

I had a second generation meter & IHD installed a couple of days ago. The IHD is only showing electricity usage not gas. SP have explained this & they are supposed to be sorting it out in the next couple of weeks. However can anybody explain why the home screen on the IHD is showing the cost of electricity used today as 10 times the real figure. For example, it is currently showing that I have used 1.91 kWh so far today. My unit charge is 13.88p per kWh so the cost should be 26.5p but the IHD is showing £2.65. If I go to account information it is showing that the bill so far for 2 & a bit days is £2.27 which, with the daily standing charge is correct. The meter reading is 14.832 kWh which is also about right. I have contacted SP by online chat but they couldn't really resolve it. Just said a lot of customers were experiencing problems. Any ideas? Thanks

11 comments

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
Re: Incorrect IHD Info

A lot of people say the IHD gives misleading cost information, sometimes it is programmed with the wrong unit rates. It is probably best to consider it a rough guide to costs, it is certainly not what your bill will finally say.

posted by footeg | 4 months ago
Thanks Davc, guess I'll just have to divide by 10 to get the actual figure
Highlighted

posted by GB | 3 months ago
I am having exactly the same issue with the info on the IHD. What is the point of a smart meter if the info is incorrect. What are SP doing to sort it out.

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

Hi GB, yes it is annoying but the point of a smart meter is to send readings automatically.  The IHD is only for extra information in your house. The costs have gone wrong but the kWh information is correct on the IHD. Costs on the IHD are not your bill and only give a rough idea of costs, SP are working on upgrades to the cost system. 

posted by footeg | 3 months ago

As an update to my original post my IHD is still in the same state it was 2 weeks ago. I have had a bundle of correspondence with SP & they say they are receiving readings from the electric meter but not the gas. SP said that Lowri Beck who installed the meters would be in touch to commission this but in the end I phoned Lowri Beck who said that, as these were SMET2 meters it was down to SP to commission them. Contacted SP again who denied this but have now given me a complaint number. It appears that these second generation meters fall between two stools. I am now getting electricity usage info on the app on my smartphone which appears to be correct but nothing for gas.

Smets 2 meters are commisioned by the installer, it is rubbish to say SP have to install them. The gas meter talks to the electric meter which in turn sends the data. So your gas meter is not connected by radio within your property to the electric meter. Lowrie Beck should come back and sort this out.

posted by footeg | 3 months ago

Thanks  Davc. You know it and I know it but how does one get SP and Lowri  Beck to accept it. In the meantime I'm left in limbo.

posted by Graham79 | 3 months ago

I have been a loyal customer of Scottish Power for many years, sadly I have been waiting 2 months for my IHD to be updated with my latest tariff info,  sent several mails and got many promises that it would be done, but little sign of this actually happening. Not really sure what the point of a smart meter & IHD is if it does not accurately reflect your actual spend in £s. Perhaps I should have moved to another supplier and got a cheaper tariff and forgot about the IHD....

Hi Graham, I agree the IHD has a lot of shortcomings. It would have been better if users could program in their actual p/kwh costs. As it is the values on nearly everyone's IHD are wrong and only the kwh units are corect. Either ignore the £ values and calculate yourself from kwh, or turn off the IHD and put it away in a drawer. 

It would be interesting to know if this a problem with SP, or do all the other suppliers have the same issues.