Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Kgallen | A month ago
Re: New smart meter, no electricity readings
There are no lights on the gas metre at all. Pressing buttons doesn’t do anything. As if it needs to be turned on but there is no power button

posted by DavC1 | A month ago

@Kgallen   Contact customer services and report a gas meter without a working display, it possibly needs a new battery. 

posted by STEVEHO | A month ago
Re: New smart meter, no gas reading

As above, new not so smart meter, No GAS reading despite reset as indicated on internet. Come on SP, paying a fortune getting rubbish service. Web site down and no one to answer phone. Poor as usual. 

@STEVEHO   Do you mean the gas meter or the hand held display unit?  The displays sometimes only show electricity,  but it does not mean the gas meter is not working.  The thing to check is that automatic readings are being sent in by the meters themselves. 

posted by Kgallen | A month ago
The actual gas meter itself, the handheld device in the house is working

If the hand held monitor shows a gas reading it means the gas meter is transmitting correctly. If the screen does not light up the battery must be too low and needs replacement.

posted by stevetee | 2 weeks ago

I have slightly different issue. I had anew smart meter fitted last summer. It displays readings (and pricing) for both gas and electricity. 

If I go to the SP website to check useage etc it says 'Your smart meter is not sending gas readings' and all the graphs show'zero' for gas usage. The electricity graphs display accurate weekly/daily/hourly use.

How are they billing me for gas if they are not receving readings? Is it likely that the smart meter isl ocally reading gas and electric but only sending electricity readings to SP?

I have no idea how to take a manual reading on my 'new style' gas meter. Blank screen and two big red buttons.

posted by DavC1 | 2 weeks ago

@stevetee   Don't be afraid to press the buttons on the gas meter, you are looking for numbers followed by m3 or cubic metres, that is your reading.   The automatic function will probably kick into action eventually.     Gas meters are battery powered so they don't display anything until the buttons are pressed.