Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Smart meter

posted by acolwireless | A year ago

Can my EDF smart meter, fitted in December 2017, be used by Scottishpower?

IMG_6593.JPG

13 comments

Top answer

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Old Smart meter

@acolwireless   Your meter is an Aclara SGC 1311  made in 2016.  Given its age it is doubtful it is a Smets2 meter, these started roll out in 2019.  If it is Smets1 standard you will have to take manual readings and send them to SP.. At some time in 2020, but don't hold your breasth, Smets1 meters will be enrolled in the the Smets2 data system and it should then send readings automatically to any supplier.

Smets1 meters send data to the supplier who installed them, Smets2 meters send data to the Government's DCC computer which can then be accessed by any  energy supplier.  At the moment there are about 14m smets1 meters in service and 2m smets2, so the programme has some way to go.

posted by elbelle | A year ago
My British Gas wireless meter was working but now it’s stopped how do I get the meter reading?

@elbelle   If your display has stopped responding look at the meters themselves. They will need button pressing to display a reading,  if there is a number pad press '9'

posted by PaulCWatson | A year ago

This is an example, a rather vivid one, of “tick box” programme management. Whoever was in charge here had to tick a box, maybe to get a big fat bonus, the box said "Get smart meters installed in xx% of properties by dd/mm/yyyy” or words to that effect. Cue massive stupid advertising campaign, cue utility companies pushing to fit their own smartmeters. Box ticked, bonuses collected (allegedly). Great, go onto the next job and leave the mess to someone else. Of course the big mistake  is the missing statement "....smart meters that are usable by all utility companies ". Its not rocket science. But no such common sense, instead loads of useless smart meters, loads of time, effort and money wasted. Well whoever was responsible for this is probably heading towards getting their next box ticked.

Targets as well as meters should be SMART themselves. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, RELEVANT, and Timely. Useless meters are not RELEVANT, if that made the job two long, the the time should have been extended so that they were (Timely does NOT mean in the shortest possible time). There are many culprits in this crime, but the same ones pop up in programme management the whole time, you are not unique, so don't feel bad guys, just go ahead “Tick that Box”.

posted by LJC | A year ago

We obviously have one of these 'old' smart meters  because we have just been asked for our meter reading.  Got told about the key pad and the 9, soo, as we have neither of those, they'll have to wait until they can send us a nice non infected  engineer to either change the meter or fix the one we have.  This is the first time we have heard about these nice new meters.  Our 'old' one was working perfectly well, didn't know it had gone all wonky until they asked for the readings..

Let's save money, help the poor!  Life works in some really mytserious and weird ways.  

M. Cook

posted by LJC | A year ago

My best guess to anyone who cannot read their meters now, would be to tell the Bosses, they will just have to wait until this Pandemic has passed.  

@LJC. The number pad smart meters are just one of many varieties. If you do not have a number pad use the other buttons on the front of the meter. Don’t be afraid to press them you cannot do any harm and if the screen shows numbers followed by cu m or kWh you have found your meter reading. ( gas or electric respectively)

posted by Georgie | A year ago

God help me! For well over a year now been trying to get Scottish power to believe me when I say my smart meter doesn't work properly!  Even been told engineer will ring next day before 10am!!!! and then not.The amounts their saying are not the same as the IHD by a long way!!! I live in a 2 up 2 down and they are saying I need to pay £231.00per month!! Gas is on at the most 3 hrs in the evening. Now to say extra energy went bust over 2 years ago I have still not received credit there saying of £289.00 it said on metre at the time  £400!!! The meter it's self when it was installed the chap said when I asked why are all the numbers flashing at me his reply was oh it will settle down in a couple of weeks!!! You couldn't make this up! So after paying by DD every month over what the IHD said they kept putting up my DD!! So I cancelled my DD I want it sorting. Now sent me a bill for £1129.91 can't get though to ANY ONE now!!! But hay they have given me 14 days to pay. At my wits end. Any one els in the same position please and what can I do??? 

@Georgie. First you can ignore anything the display tells you about costs, they are always wrong and it is not your bill.
Second you should give SP actual meter readings so the bill they send will be accurate
Third you have cancelled the DD so you are in payment default
Fourth. Because of the virus crisis no payments will be followed up for now. Get your meter readings and send them in, restart your DD or your situation will get worse and worse. Fuel is very expensive and you can easily owe over £1000 built up over several months.