Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quote including 100% green electricity

posted by JohnD | 7 months ago

Checked the latest tariffs and found that we could obtain a fixed rate for 2 years with £3 extra per month for 100% green electricity.  However, on looking at the terms and conditions, we found that, if we accepted this, we would be expressing our interest in a smart meter and that SP or one of their installers would contact us when they were available in our area.

We have no interest in a smart meter at all and know that it is not mandatory.   We live in an area with poor mobile signals and our meters are also on different levels and at opposite ends of the house.

In these days where truth is in short supply, would it be honest for us to accept the quote and then give a negative response to any approaches regarding a smart meter in future?

11 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Jonnel | 7 months ago
Re: Quote including 100% green electricity

@JohnD It's not exactly clear where you would stand legally, knowingly entering into a contract where you 'expressed interest' in a smart meter. If you 'expressed interest' would that mean you were saying yes? I kind of think that's how Scottish Power would see it. Morally, can you convince yourself ‘interest’ could extend to hearing SP say ‘Yes, the system will work well in your house.’ And then make a decision?

At the moment, there is no legal demand a supplier can make to insist you have one fitted, perhaps unless you agree a contract that stipulates you have one in order to get the preferential rate tariff. It's one that demands the question be asked. Added to that, you clearly know your arrangement of meters suggests the smart system would not work correctly or fully for you anyway. Perhaps asking the above question would help you decide about signing up for another two years.

Bulb promises 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon-neutral gas. Neither do they insist on smart meters - in fact they're only introducing them this year.

They pay old supplier exit fees too.

posted by enjay | 4 months ago

i have accepted the new tarrif Help beat cancer fixed saver.

I searched all of the information terms and coditions prior to accepting.

but there was no mention anywhere in the documents referring to a smart meter as being part of the agreement..

but when I signed into my account only 1   day after complrting the transfer ( I am already a Scottish power customer and have been for many years. ) the first thing I read in large lettering , was  ACTION REQUIRED, and read that to accept this tarrif I had agreed to have a smart meter installed and to contact them. but I know that I had not agreed, so I will be contacting them to say that at the moment I do not want a smart meter, thankyou.

posted by vkGandhi | 3 months ago

@JohnD wrote:

Checked the latest tariffs and found that we could obtain a fixed rate for 2 years with £3 extra per month for 100% green electricity.  However, on looking at the terms and conditions, we found that, if we accepted this, we would be expressing our interest in a smart meter and that SP or one of their installers would contact us when they were available in our area.

We have no interest in a smart meter at all and know that it is not mandatory.   We live in an area with poor mobile signals and our meters are also on different levels and at opposite ends of the house.

In these days where truth is in short supply, would it be honest for us to accept the quote and then give a negative response to any approaches regarding a smart meter in future?

No Comment

posted by ChristopherReay | A week ago

I have just signed up for a "online fixed rate tarriff". I literally cannot understand how the green mix works on the website. Apparently there is a "green tarrif", but its not listed in the list of tarriffs. Im not interested in buying energy from anywhere other than renewable sources.

Also I was completely clear on this to the sales person on the phone, so I am a bit confused

"Expressing Interest" means nothing legally

posted by Davc | A week ago

@ChristopherReay   SP generate only green energy, but they buy in electricity to meet demand. If you pay extra they guarantee that your electricity is totally green when it is bought in by SP.   I don’t see the point because all green power that is generated gets sold anyway, paying extra does not increase the UK generation or use of green power. 

Ok, Thats good to know.

My current supplied, Ecotricity, invests half of all profit directly in increasing the renewable energy production base. Your attitude seems to be that somehow the renewables industry is not connected to the choices of people buying it, could you explain what you mean?

Ecotricity are responsible for building more than 80% of the total renewables generation of the UK.