Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Smart Meter not sending readings

posted by TollHouse | 2 years ago

I had smart meters for gas and electricity fitted in December last year By Scottish Power and have been receiving estimated gas bills ever since.  Upon receiving my most recent bill which appeared to be grossly inflated I contacted SP Support on line and after 30 mins of conversation the SP agent suggested that the gas meter may not have been commissioned and that I should contact the installers.  He claimed he was unable to do this and gave me the contact for the installers.  I contacted the installers and after a short while their representitive stated that the meter must be faulty.  He was unable to arrange for anyone to come and rectify the problem as his "system was updating" and stated that there was no one in this area until the middle of May!!  What should I do, the estimated bill is grossly inflated?

40 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 2 years ago

That is a difficult situation, does the gas meter show readings? and can you send these in by phone or on-line?  If it is really not recording at all then SP need to take control of the situation becuase they must provide a working meter.

Highlighted

posted by TollHouse | 2 years ago
Thanks for the comment. I have since managed to find out how to get a meter reading from the actual meter, no help from SP, and submitted it. I've now been given a date in the middle of April for an engineer to visit.
Highlighted

posted by dt3005 | 2 years ago

I got my smart meter installed for my gas and electricity at the same time, and noticed not long afterwards that my smart meter wasn't picking up my gas readings.  When I contacted Scottish Power, they checked and said my gas smart meter was faulty and needed replaced.  It was replaced on the 6th March this year, and I was told it would take 2 weeks for it to register, in order for Scottish Power to pick up the readings. 2 weeks have passed and I am no further forward.  My fixed online tariff is due to end at the end of March, and I wanted to move to the new Power Up, but when I phoned and explained that I had been having problems doing this because there are no accurate readings from my gas meter to set it up, I was told I would need to wait 6 weeks for it to register, or go on to a fixed rate until April 2019, that is going to cost me £87 a month.  That is £20 more a month than I am paying now, and I only live on my own, and hardly in the flat.                                     

Highlighted

Hi dt3005, You could send in gas meter readings in the old fashioned way by phone or on-line, at least your account would be up to date and you could switch to PowerUp.

Highlighted

posted by Colin_Ward | 2 years ago

Hi, having had Smart meter installed in Dec 2017 it appears that the Gas readings are not working. I cannot input a manual reading as the display is blank on the meter?

Highlighted

Hi Colin; does your in home device (IHD) show any gas readings? if not move it closer to the actual gas meter to try to get a signal. Are the electricity meter IHD readings working correctly?

If no result  see what is the make and model of your actual gas meter and Google for instructions on what buttons to press to see a reading.  When you get a reading send it in by phone or internet.  Your meter is not seeming to send readings automatically so increase the frequency of the readings  which you can do using your on line account. You could try setting it to weekly or daily signals to increase the chance of success. At the end of all this without success you might have a faulty meter but hopefully you can get a reading to work.

posted by steve4631 | 2 years ago

I have had a smart meter for nearly a year, yet  when I check my online account it either shows something like last metereading 45 days ago or estimated reading, even though it is supposed kto send every month, so Iam no wiser as t the state  of my account. I asked SP if the meter was faulty, no they said, yet it is still doing it...

Highlighted

Hi Steve, Read the rest of this conversation thread.

Highlighted

posted by RichG | 2 years ago
Hi Colin, my meter has three black buttons below the display - a left arrow, a circle, and a right arrow. The display is always blank, but pressing the circle button lights it up for about 30 seconds so you can check the reading. Maybe yours is the same?