Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Booth | 2 years ago
Re: Smart Meter not sending readings

My smart meter does not work rang SP and they said to ring the installer and gave me a phone number,

The installer told me to put the smart meter in with the electricty meter outside, well as soon as you unplug it the device goes off.    Kept it outside all night and still no joy.

Told them the gas meter had no numbers on it and they said it would catch up when the smart meter starts working again.

Pressed a few buttons and got a meter reading - no help from SP or the installer.

After checking my statement on line, it appears that the final meter reading by the installer was estimated !!! on both gas and electricity...before putting the new meters in.... my statement bill was double what it normally is at this time of year.

the smart meter is still not working so I've entered actual readings and got billed even more.

This must be how SP get us to pay for the installation.

2 months on .... THE SMART METER IS NOT WORKING AND SP AND THE INSTALLER BOTH KNOW 

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 years ago

Hi Booth, you are complaining about your IHD not your smart meter. The IHD contains a small rechargeable battery, if it has been plugged in a long time it should run for 60 minutes on its own power. Your problem is a poor radio signal between the IHD and the external meter, so put your IHD as close as possible to the external smart meter to get a signal. The smart meters will work correctly even when the IHD is turned off.

Highlighted

posted by Delboy | 2 years ago
SP kept telling me to send meter readings for months, this is despite having a smart meter, I have complained on the community page many times and recieved absolutely no reply on here or via e-mail from SP. Now , as of today, they send me a mail , you know the score people......We have reviewed your account and.......amazingly they kept our payments the same...so I look at the account page. Up until 1st March we were £500 + in credit ! Now, I accept that it supposed to balance out over the year and they monitor your account to check you are not over paying...BUT, I complained that they were not monitoring my account at all or my complaints. If I had known we were in so much credit I would have looked for a cheaper contract and extended our credit for a great deal longer with another supplier. Meanwhile SP have kept our money in their account

We are due to look for a new deal in August. It won't be SP.
Highlighted

Hi Delboy, sorry to hear your story, but do not complain about mistreatment if you never look at your bills, you can  apply for a refund of your £500 . 

Highlighted

posted by Delboy | 2 years ago

I did look at my bills which were out of date as SP didn't take any readings from the smart meter for months despite me telling them. That was the point of my original complaints many weeks ago and nothing was done. Thanks for your reply

Highlighted

Hi Delboy, it is quite normal for SP to ask for readings to be sent in from a smart meters, it can be for a number of reasons. If it was me I would just do it.You would then get an up to date bill and can sort out the meter problem afterwards. One thing you can adjust with the smart meter is the frequency of updates, set it to daily because if it is set to once a month the signals may not be getting through.

Highlighted

posted by JThistlethwaite | 2 years ago

Hi

im having similar issues I also got my meter installed in Dec 2017 I’ve since had a high estimated bill and a even higher actual bill neither of which tie up with my useage and is causing my direct debit to fluctuate between 85-35 on a regular basis. I’ve contacted them and raised various complaints with no resolution or actual fix other than ‘it’s all working fine’ and an explanation of how direct debits fluctuate. 

Has anyone else had this issue as since having the smart meter installed it’s the only time my account hasn’t run smoothly and has been in debit. I’m thinking of having the meter removed should this not be fixed as it’s to much hassle and it’s much easier by just sending monthly readings! 

Highlighted

I've had an update - the smart meter IHD is broken and not being replaced by Either the Supplier or SP - SP suggest I download an App on my smart phone, really ?!

..... the IHD uses electricty to power so at least I'm saving electric by not having it.

It turns out my Smart Gas Meter does not send out Smart Meter Readings ..... as this is not a good situation for SP because they don't know what gas I've used since it was installed in January - there is an engineer coming out this Sunday to rectify this !!!! 

My direct debit has gone up a huge amount probably to cover all the gas they think I've used.  

Highlighted

it is now 5 months since installation and still no meter readings going to SP via the Smart Meter.

The gas man did come out one Sunday in May but he said there was nothing he could do to rectify the problem as the SP office was shut and he could not contact anyone.
Highlighted

I've always been in credit through the year and now all of a sudden over £200 in debt - SP sent me 2 Bills on 25th May - they totalled over £600, but when I queried it they said it seemed normal.