Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMETS2 for all new installations now?

posted by seymour999 | 3 months ago

I’ve held off having a smart meter for years waiting for SMETS. The hounding from Scottish Power when they were trying to get rid of their SMETS1 meters seems to have stopped now. I believe that from January they had to install SMETS2 for all new installations but have a feeling there may still be some loopholes. If I order a meter now am I GUARANTEED to now receive a SMETS2? There is nothing to help on the website but the presence of a SMET2 user guide when I search gives cause for hope!

8 comments

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago
Re: SMETS2 for all new installations now?
@seymour999 There are other considerations than just if SP will fit SMETs2 meters from now on. The DCC infrastructure is a long way from being fully rolled out yet so even now, people with SMETs2s are not guaranteed to have the remote reading facility assured. Added to that, there is quite a lot of talk in the press, not just in here, that IHDs are unreliable, and even that installation teams are not all capable of a successful fitting in all circumstances.

I'm waiting until the tech and support system is fully tried and tested before getting smarted-up. Then I'll be ready for when they start raising prices for peak rate usage.

posted by seymour999 | 3 months ago
Thanks Jonnel for that background, understood. I’m happy to have a SMETS2 meter installed without full functionality at this point. What I’m not happy with is inadvertently having a SMETS1 installed which then ceases to function if/when I change suppliers. Can anyone say what Scottish Power are installing now, September 2019 as a matter of policy?

Top answer

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

@seymour999   SP say they are installing only Smets2, but they have so many contractors only loosely controlled that anything is still possible. I would leave it until late 2020 before accepting a smart meter and hope that by that time most of the bugs have been ironed out. Having said that and despite many complaints on this forum, they say that most installations work correctly, this forum does focus on problems and can give a pessimistic view.

Highlighted

posted by Gavalar | A month ago

I had a smets2 fitted on thursday if that helps.

posted by Neilix | A month ago

Had a SMET 2 installed, as I wanted to go to a economy 7 to reduce the cost of charging my electric vehicle overnight.

Rang today to change the tariff, and was told my smart rate is only capable of single rate. 

The poor lady assumed I had a SMET 1 installed, but when I told her its a SMET 2. She then said I needed a 2 rate SMET 2. I  honestly can't believe anything I am told anymore.

posted by Davc | A month ago

@Neilix   How confusing, at least you know now what to ask for, I hope they will come back with the correct meter. 

posted by maggie52 | 4 weeks ago

Having just read previous posts from people who are still experiencing problems fills me full of horror! When I took up a new tarriff deall for this year I HAD to have a smart meter installed or I would have been forced to pay far higher charges.I did some online research and discovered that all the major companies were making it a term of their deals that customers had to have a smart meter fitted. I had resisted all attempts to get me to have a meter installed as I knew there were still problems! I understand that there is still no compulsion to have a smart meter so why are providers allowed to use a backdoor way to force customers to have them? Clearly this is because they have government targets to meet even  when they know that there are still problems to be ironed out.

Tomorrow a meter will be installed in my house.  I am still very annoyed that I am forced into this and just hope that I am not goint to regret this any more than I already do!

posted by Davc | 4 weeks ago

@maggie52   I hope the installer turns up tomorrow. Make sure he not only installs the meters but commisions them to transmit to the Display and to the SP. Make sure he tells you how to see a reading on the new meters by pressing its buttons, and make a note of the closing reading on the old meter and the opening reading on the new meter.  Finally dont assume that they are transmitting, allow them to settle in for a few weeks and ring SP to ask if they are receiving the readings. You may have to send some manual readings to start the whole process successfully.  Best wishes, most installers do a good job but some rush off as soon as power is restored to the home.