Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter 2nd Generation?

posted by Wizbit | A year ago

Hi, Scottish Power are offering to install a Smart Meter, and I wanted to check if anyone knows if they are yet installing the '2nd Generation' Smart Meters?...these were meant to be rolled out by ALL companies during 2017 to avoid many of the problems associated with the earlier models and to establish some kind of 'standard' to help when moving home etc. We have wanted to hold off until these newer models are being installed as a result. 

16 comments
Highlighted

posted by  Gordon | A year ago
Re: Smart Meter 2nd Generation?

Hi @Wizbit, all of the Smart Meters being rolled out by ScottishPower just now are the 1st Generation, however by the end of 2018 these will all have received a software update to allow you to change supplier without losing any functionality. If you plan on switching supplier within the next year you may be better holding off, although if you are on a fixed price deal which takes you beyond 2018 then you can go ahead and get a 1st generation meter installed no problem. This topic was also discussed in this post

posted by DuffMonkey | A year ago
Hi is there any update on this for 2018 and is there a difference based on location?

Also where can I read about the differences between the generations and specifically the difference between 1st generation with software update and second generation

posted by Wotto | A year ago

My Smart meter installation has been a total farce. It's taken over six weeks and a replacement meter for Scottish Power to finally accept that signals were not getting from the gas meter to the base meter. They now promise all will be well when the second generation meters become available. 

I asked when this will be and so far haven't had an answer. 

I saw an article in the press that said as of Feb a total of 80 second generation meters had been installed.

the words 'piss up brewery couldn't organise' spring to mind.

The worst thing is - what's the point of Smart meters. All that guff about saving us money etc is a total nonsense. The costs of this botched installation must be enormous and we will all pay the costs .

posted by JamesD | A year ago

It's a crazy situation. Also I have a poor mobile signal where I live. Are there so-called Smart meters able to connect via WiFi to report their data?

What happens if the meter can't connect on the mobile network?

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi James, Smart meters use the mobile phone network to send in their readings, as far as I know there is no possibilty to use the internet/Wifi. The meters can use different phone networks so there is usually a signal from one of the networks. I suppose if there is no phone signal at all then  a smart meter is not possible, and will only be possible if a phone company improves the signal in your area.

posted by Creda65 | 11 months ago
Dont bother they never turn up SP rubbish at customer service

posted by Bluemoon57 | 11 months ago
I.have.not.had.a.smt.meter.installed.last.week.must.wait.for.2nd.generation.Could.b.next.year

posted by davleg | 9 months ago
Hi here is a link.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/gas-electric/80-second-generation-smart-meters-have-installed-rollout-stalls/

posted by Customer | 5 months ago
Please when smets 1 runs on 2.4ghz and Smets 2 4.8ghz how will the DCC be able to update a Smets1 meter. The energy company's know this but need to get meters on walls. Please explain