Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter not working - abysmal service

posted by JAH | 11 months ago

So after months (over a year) of being hounded to have a smart meter I said 'Yes'.

The engineers came round and installed it.  But could not 'commission' it because their network was down (their words).  It doesn't connect to Scottish Power - BUT it also doesn't connect to the handset!  So getting readings is back to going to the meters themselves.

And the poor service?  After hounding me for months, it has now been over 8 weeks since the installation and no-one has been to commission the meter.   Apparently I am on a waiting list - but no commitment as to when they will come.

It is obviously this is just a numbers game.  Get the meters installed (and tick a box) rather than actually get them to work.

Useless!

I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

17 comments

posted by AHY_TG | 11 months ago
Re: Smart Meter not working - abysmal service

Yup, I am the exact same.  Had my gas smart meter installed about a year ago but never commissioned.  Actually forgot all about it until I got a bill 3 times higher than normal.

Been on to them about commissioning it, but as you said, just told I was on a list and there was a big backlog.

It's ridiculous

posted by hqaid | 10 months ago
I can't get mine commissioned as no appointments available on there system. I've rang the gas meter company Amey who said I have to go through Scottish Power to do this. It's a nightmare no one is helping getting different answers all the time.

posted by pauline100 | 7 months ago

I too had a smart meter installed in Nov  but not commissioned, even after phome calls to scot power who seem ablivious to  the fact I am still no further forward the trouble is I can not get a gas reading so seem to be stuck in limbo wht are they playing at

posted by DaveD | 7 months ago
Hi Pauline, I don't understand this as when the engineer installs the meter he has to commission it. I assume you have both electric and gas as the gas meter communicates with the electric one to then send the data.

DaveD

posted by hqaid | 7 months ago
I have an on going issue since September still not recording my gas readings they keep saying it's a signal issue. An engineer came out from the supplier and confirmed its broken, I've been telling them that since day one they are not listening to me. No record of what gas I've used since September no-one rings me back if I didn't take things on myself I'd still be no further forward. The customer service is really bad you don't realise how bad till something goes wrong and they xo nothing about it.

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

Hqaid,  your gas meter will still record the gas used even if it does not transmit. You can get a manual reading and send it in. 

Hi davc I've tried to but no readings on meter either just zeros since September. Looks like they are overcharging me now aswell. They cancelled my engineer and then sent one when I wasn't in. I regret ever having one put in.

posted by Davc | 7 months ago

Depends on your type of smart gas meter, you have to press different buttons to show a reading. You can Google for instructions if you put in the make and model of the meter. 

Davc I've done that too. Not sure how will know what I've used when I get a new meter in will it confirm what I've used?