Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by alie | A month ago
Re: Smart Meter or monitoring and no IHD?
I think it's a conspiracy theory when utility companies sell you an idea that only benefits them.I never had a panel and they wont give me one, so what the heck is the point of having a smart meter?

posted by Davc | A month ago

Do you mean display not panel? SP need to send an engineer to install a display, it is no use to just send you one.  They are so busy with new installations I guess that replacements are a low priority but nevertheless they should come out and fit one for you.  Meanwhile as you know the meters continue to work without the display. I wonder what your old tenants did with your display it is completely useless to them because it will not work in any other house. 

Thats right, Scottish Power told me that they no longer replace these panels so I am stuck with a meter that I never asked for, transmits data via CGI that I was promised it wouldn't do, and even if I wanted to use the so called smart functionality I am unable to do so as I dont have a panel. I am glad I will be leaving this god forsaken country soon where company profits and dishonesty come before customer service.

posted by Jonnel | A month ago

@alie Hope it's not Europe you're going to... Apparently the problems with business manipulation of the domestic customer are worse in Europe than here. Point of interest - The European consumer group BEUC has been shouting from the rooftops about the mis-application of smart meters over there for years.

But BEUC have their offices in Belgium, where there is a much higher income tax rate than most other EU countries, especially the UK, so heaven knows why they don't have their offices here. Go figure.

They say you have to choose your battles. Guess they're right...

@Jonnel Interesting website BEUC but they do not have much to say about smart meters, the last post I found was in 2017.   And why would they be based in Belgium?  It is an EU organisation and if they came to London they would have to shift again quite quickly. 

@Davc Oh, they're active. Last post I found was today, but no, not about smart meters. Maybe they're choosing too.

But thank you for proving my point - they say EU political sway only differs from UK political sway by the number of zeros on the end of the bung. 

BTW, did you mean why wouldn't they be based in Belgium? If so, that was exactly my point to alie - a consumer organisation that doesn't make the most of its funds? What chance do consumers have when the people who're supposed to help them don't make best use of their own finances? Hence: 'Choose you battles.'

The trick is in knowing which battles you can win.

@Jonnel   I know BEUC is actively chasing consumer issues, but I could not find the 'shouting from rooftops' about smart meters which you mentioned.

Smart meter is a Europe-wide initiative to modernise fuel measurement, it has been sold to British consumers as the benefit given by the displays, definitely a little misleading as we all know. But the introduction of consumption management through variable tariffs is coming soon. It will be seen as a rip-off by some, and as a  benefit by others who can take advantage of the lower rates and avoid the higher rates.  It is a new world for tariffs which we all have to get used to, it is also the main reason for smart meters. All this is on the internet, but few seem interested to read about it. 

Technology is proving difficult to implement, the IHDs often lose connection, and the Smets2 meters are giving SP problems of retrieving data from the DCC central computer system. Installers are rushing jobs and leaving users with un-commissioned meters, and no instructions on how to read them. Anyway the process is underway now and will not be abandoned. 

Ahh haa...It was a European Idea then? I have just come from 12 years in the Netherlands and no one I knew had smart meters.Is this another case of Britain following all and any ''regulations'' that again come from the EU no doubt in part by supporting multinational or global business interests for smart meter data then? ? Glad I voted for Brexit...and no, I will not be living in Europe, as far away from the big brother state as I can get.

@Davc Oh Davc, Davc, Davc.... You're taking naivety and understatement to new heights. The true final result the introduction of smart meters will have is the enforced controlling of consumers' usage. It's actually more like the sugar tax than an 'Europe-wide initiative to modernise fuel measurement.' If you can't 'encourage' people to use less energy at (what will once have been called) peak times, then you'll have to MAKE them, and make us they will.

It's well documented how the savings ordinary people will make from having smart meters are negligible; even public figures involved with the program are saying how they stopped looking at their IHDs after a few months; it was deliberately misleading to tell people installation would be at no 'additional' cost; it was known before roll-out that neither the tech nor the infrastructure were capable or on schedule; it's known that target-hitting is over-riding installation standards.... The list goes on.

But just because it's happening, doesn't make it right.

Its more than 'a little misleading'. It's virtually Orwellian to speak of 'consumption management' and the very idea of 'variable tariffs' is enough to send conspiracy theorists into paroxisms of ecstacy. Of course some will see it as a rip-off because their choice is being curtailed, and what people crave most is choice - that and control. And both are going. So when those 'others' avoid the higher rates by nipping over to their home in the Algarve for winter, those unable to will feel the pinch because they want to put the lights on at 6pm in December.

'It is a new world for tariffs...' You got that right... A Brave New World.

Did I say Orwell? Perhaps you were thinking of Huxley.