Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Meter will only connect to meter really close

posted by bigmikey | 3 years ago

I have a Smart Meter installed. Our electricity meter is located in a box set in to the wall towards the front of the house. (The gas meter is in another box, but further away). The IHD is "line of sight" to the electricity box and sits in the kitchen window some 15 feet away. I have to reset the IHD every day to get it to connect to read the meters. Other than to place the IHD in a bedroom closer to the meter (where it cannot be readily seen), is there anything that I can do?

7 comments
Highlighted

posted by  Eilidh | 3 years ago
Re: Smart Meter will only connect to meter really close

Hi @bigmikey, like all wireless devices the IHD can sometimes experience low signal strength or lose signal completely with your smart meters. We are aware from similar customer feedback that either moving your IHD to different locations in your home or structural obstructions, like walls etc. may occasionally cause this.

Rest assured all energy suppliers are working with industry manufacturers to find ways of improving this signal strength and some suppliers, like ScottishPower do accept this poor signal doesn’t provide the level of service which we would wish to provide with our Smart Meters and we are currently exploring other methods of technology which we may be able to offer, as a resolution to these signalling issues.

One such example of this is to use either your ScottishPower online account or to download the ScottishPower APP. Both of these systems allow you to monitor your energy usage in either pounds/pence or Kilowatt Hours (Kwh)

At this time there is no additional equipment/technology suppliers can provide to their customer’s to boost their Home Access Network (HAN) similar to how you can buy Wi-Fi extenders for your home.

In the meantime rest assured your new Smart Meters are successfully communicating meter readings to us, on a half hourly basis, which will help to ensure your energy usage is accurately displayed on your statements.

Highlighted

posted by foxprorawks | 3 years ago

I have just posted about exactly the same problem.

Unfortunately, it isn't true that you can rely on the Smart Meters to send the data to Scottish Power every half hour.  My last bill was an estimated bill, despite having had Smart Meters installed for some time.

Your app would be useful to me, except that it isn't available on Windows Phone.

Highlighted

posted by stevieb123 | 3 years ago

I also have problems receiving a signal on my smart meter and the only place it will work is if it is placed on the floor next to my front door as the meters are directly outside adjacent to my front door.  Compared to the smart meters my familiy members all have (suplied by British Gas) the Scottish Power smart meters are rubbish. My families meters all have colour displays and automatically display power consumption etc in a much more effective and 'visually stunning' way and even show the room temperature and other functions continually without have ing to manually select.   DO SCOTTISH POWER HAVE ANY PLANS TO REPLACE/UPDATE THE CURRENT SMART METERS?

Highlighted

posted by camilach | 3 years ago

Hi,   My smart meter was working for a month and I decided to switch it off. The main reason is because they are not so smart- they need to be connected to power for 24 hours,  (they last for one hour without it). I thought that maybe over the night I can change some setting and put the smart meter on sleeping mode, like the one provided by BG. So today I have switched this back on and I checked my scottish power meter reading. They were all up to date. My question is: does scottish power knows my meters even when this smart meter is not connected? If so I don’t need this little screen then.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 3 years ago

Hi Camilach.  The smart meter itself is the thing screwed to the wall under the stairs or wherever it is. Your little monitor just gives a view of what the meter is doing. You can turn off the monitor or leave it on, it makes no difference to the way the smart meter works. It does make meter reading easy though, you do not have to go to the real meter with a torch or overcoat. You are right that the monitor has to stay plugged in in order to work, but it uses very little power, and you can easily turn it on and off whenever you need to look at it.  

Highlighted

posted by stevieb123 | 3 years ago

After reading more comments and my original comments posted, I think others, like myself, are really referring to the smart meter monitor and not the actual meters themselves.  I was aware that it has to remain plugged in permanently to operate and display  24/7 , but my issue is just with the poor signal strength and the inferior quality of the monitor compared to the ones my family were supplied with by British Gas. 

Highlighted

posted by Mikkh61 | 5 days ago

Sadly this still applies 3 nearly 4 years later.  (Oct 2020)

Will only connect when really close - the socket near the front door in my case, about 4 feet from the meters!

The button to switch between gas and electric doesn't work, it just displays gas. This is a stupid default display, I'm much more interested in what is in the electric, so I'm not sitting in the dark.

The random messages are unhelpful and misleading, or just confusing. Top up soon appears seemingly regardless of the remaining balance. I'm pretty sure I don't need to top up soon with just under £30 left, I don't use that amount of gas in a month - even in winter.  "Gas disablement suspended" I take to simply mean the gas is on, so why this ridiculous long winded message that must be confusing some people, and even worrying others.

For a device that is supposed to be helping me save money, the extremely poor battery life is actually costing me money.

It seems pretty obvious this is old technology, basically not fit for purpose. Trying to reduce the mountain of units you bought in error for a bargain price?  Taking advantage of some government/EU scheme that pays for everyone you hand out? Your original reply states you are working towards correcting it (or words to that effect) but as I'm replying to a 3 year+ query, that is patently not the case.  Are we ever getting upgraded ones that actually work?