Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meters and switching suppliers

posted by Thehalls | 4 years ago

I have smart meters and have switched to Scottish Power but they tell me they can't connect to another suppliers smart meters so Ihave to get down on my hands and knees to read the gas meter. Is there going to be a way soon to read another suppliers meter or should I arrange to have another smart meter ibntalled even though they are only just over a year old

11 comments

Top answer

posted by thameena | 4 years ago
Re: Smart Meters and switching suppliers

I am the same except i have a smart meter for my electric, I can submit meter readings for gas but not for electric. Have tried to obtain answer but told by scottish power will have to wait until they install smart meters.

posted by  Gordon | 4 years ago

Hi @Thehalls, this is a common problem across the industry at the moment I'm afraid. You have what is referred to as a SMETS1 meter, which is the 1st generation of Smart Meters. When you change supplier the meter loses it's 'Smart' functionality and becomes a regular meter again. There is a solution we are working with the industry on though, all existing SMETs1 meters will be upgraded remotely so they can connect to the central communication network (DCC) enabling full compatibility between suppliers. At the moment we aim to  complete this by the end of 2018. 

Hi @thameena have you also switched from another supplier? 

posted by racker | 4 years ago

i have tried since befoe new year for my dual fuel usage ,,but cannot get an answer as i believe s/power having

problems with smart meter reading so how can i see which is the best deal as my deal finishes end of jan 2018

so i cannot compare other suppliers deals

posted by  Gordon | 4 years ago
Hi @racker, have you contacted our customer service team regarding this? They will be able to help with the meter readings and also to advise you on the best deal for you. You can call them on 0800 027 0072 or email via the webform at www.scottishpower.co.uk/email

posted by Vosey59 | 3 years ago
Hi
I'm in the process of switching from BG to SP will my smart meter work

posted by trebor50 | 3 years ago

I moved from BG to SP in January of this year and my smart meters became "dumb". I got SP to install new smart meters (SMET 1) for me and the best they have ever worked is with limited functionality . Most of the time they have been "dumb". At this moment in time the app does not work at all ( about 4 months ago it was working OK) and the web portal shows me how I was using energy 4 days ago.
When I was with BG my smart meters worked with full functionality all of the time. I'm now reliant on SP to do the " over the air" upgrade to make them compatible with the national network. If I had kept the BG smart meters they would have been dumb all of the time, but at least I would imagine BG would have done the "over the air" upgrade .
When my fixed deal ends in January I have to hope SP have successfully completed the " over the air" upgrade so that I can move to another supplier and keep the smart function.
Or try and find another supplier who will be stupid enough to fit new SMET 2 meters for me

posted by Davc | 3 years ago

I'm amazed that SP fitted a new smart meter, the policy is to leave  BG meters until they are remotely updated to Smets 2 standard. Don't expect any Smets 2 upgrades until 2020.

posted by gjdurkin | 3 years ago

I have two dumb ‘smart meters’ fitted by BG, and dual fuel supplied by SP, henceme calling them dumb.

I’ve been prompted by SP to have smartmeters installed, they turned up today saying we can’t replace them as they are smart even though they don’t work!

Whats the process to get them updated to work across all suppliers......... do I chase BG?

posted by Davc | 3 years ago

Hi, read the comments above, all the 'dumb' meters will be switched to smart mode some time in 2020, nobody is going to replace meters. We are all waiting for the Government new database which will log all the readings from all the suppliers (imagine the scope for problems)