Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart electricity meter indicator lights

posted by Bucky | A year ago

I have just had an elster AS300P smart electricity meter fitted but was not provided with any information about it.  I want to know what the indicator lights on the meter are trying to tell me.

At the top is a series of green lights.  What is being indicated by the order and frequency of each light's flashes?

On the right side of the meter are 2 red (does this colour indicate that there is something serious happening?) lights which are sometimes off, sometimes on continuously and sometimes flash at varying frequencies.  What does each mode mean?

14 comments

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Smart electricity meter indicator lights

Google AS300P, there is plenty of information.

OK, done that.  The only website I could find that had any reference to the green and red indicator lights on an AS300P meter was a manual designed for engineers which was too technical for me to understand.  What website did you have in mind?  Could you send me a link?

I am now wondering if the indicator lights are only there to provide information for engineers.  If so, do you think it will be safe for me to just ignore them?

OK I can see now that the manuals are very technical. . Advice on Money Saving Expert is to contact the energy supplier for instructions on using the meter. Usually on SP installations there is no need for users to do anything to the meter itself and you are supposed to use your In-Home Display for readings. However the meter will display readings if the right button is pressed.  There should not be a problem getting SP to email or post an instruction sheet. Red lights do not necessarliy mean a bad function, what does your In-Home display say? 

Highlighted

I have been in contact with SP.  I requested an instruction sheet for a elster AS300P meter but was sent instructions for the In-Home Display (which I do not use because I do not have a convenient mains socket).  I repeated my request for meter instructions and received a reply which seemed to say (the English wasn't perfect) that a flashing green light indicated power was being consumed and a flashing red light indicated that no power was being consumed.  I have my doubts about that.   However I am reassured by your advice that whatever the lights are doing nothing untoward is happening.

It would still be a good idea to use the in home display to check that the readings are being updated correctly. It might be a nuisance to use an extension lead but it’s worth it for a one-off check. 

A final thought; maybe the red lights on the meter mean ‘no ihd connected’. 

posted by scottishscouse | A year ago

My understanding of the 'red and green' lights on the smart meter information box is that the green light indicates that energy is being use efficiently, i.e., low power use, and the red light indicates high power use. I would also suggest that as the display unit works well off the battery you can charge it up else where (if power point not available) and then move it into an occupied room when needed. However I have found that other than the occassional cursery look, the display unit soon loses its appeal.

Thanks for that Scottishscouse.  You have clarified it.  

posted by Milo | A year ago
It would really make sense if Scottish Power left instructions with the consumer as to how to use the meter so save customers having to go to these lengths to find out, it’s not rocket science surely?