Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meter billing

posted by badcrc | 3 months ago

When my smart electricity meter is installed, how does the billing work ? Is it an automatic direct debit, once I've linked my VISA card ? At the moment I pay £50 pm by standing order - should I cancel that ?

5 comments

posted by DavC1 | 3 months ago
Re: Smart meter billing
The normal payment for fuel is direct debit linked to your bank account. Standing order and credit card are possible but quite unusual. Smart meters have no influence on the payment method, your supplier will tell you how much DD they will take each month. These days £50 is very cheap, average costs are £100 a month, and with the energy crisis likely to rise over £200 a month.

posted by badcrc | 3 months ago

I can assure you that for 15+ years I have been paying for electricity by standing order. I read the meter once every blue moon, and the meter reader comes even less than that. Scottish Power do the math and tell me to either pay more or as happened last time to pay less.

It's bizarre that you think I'm making this up.

posted by DavC1 | 3 months ago

@badcrc   Sorry, not saying you are making it up, only that it is unusual. Direct debit is the standard payment.  Now that fuel is so expensive it will help if you send readings more often, meter readers are very rare these days.  If you go onto a smart meter the readings will get sent automatically but your payment method will probably stay as it was. 

posted by Tony-b | 2 weeks ago

do ScottishPower allow standing orders instead of direct debit ?

posted by DavC1 | 2 weeks ago

@Tony-b    You can ask customer services,  DD is the standard across all suppliers. Some customers on here report paying through a regular payment plan, but that is unusual.