Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meter demo mode

posted by Dean1992 | 5 months ago
Hello, I had a smart meter install two days ago. The engineer mentioned he was struggling to activate the meters over the last week. He done all the work, left the smart meter and told me it should work soon.

The display has been in "Demo Mode" since he left. Does anyone know how to get this working?

Thanks.
11 comments

posted by mogs | 5 months ago
Re: Smart meter demo mode
Hi is this smart meter from Scottish power?they keep telling me they don't do them

Yes this is from Scottish power.

posted by Davc | 5 months ago

Hi Both, you are talking about the IHD not the meter. The engineer should never leave you without making sure everything works. What is going on if he says he could not activate meters over the last week? Did he mean activate the IHDs? If it was activating sending data from the meters then something is very wrong.

SP definitely do IHDs and they should be paired with the meters by the engineer, if he does not do that then he has not finished the job. Pairing is not a job for customers and you need to get the engineer back to finish his work. You should also check that SP are receiving your meter readings regularly because your engineer does not seem confident.

It is true that IHDs do not take part in the sending of readings and can be left switched off, but they are there for your convenience and they should always be made to work.

Thanks for the reply.

The engineer didn't sound confident that it would work, he said he was having trouble pairing them and only managed to get 1 working within the last week.

posted by Geoffbr | 5 months ago

I had my install several months ago, and my IHD has not been working for the last 3-4 weeks, I was told yesterday that it was due a firmware upgrade that was affecting many customers?!!?!? Could all be related.

posted by crkimmings | 5 months ago

Had our meter a week now, doesn't seem to be acive yet. Meter reading on the display is 123456 so I take it is not registering yet. Still in demo mode. When I log in to my account, there's a large banner asking me to upgrade to a smart meter. Someone even rang  just before the appointment to fit the IHD to say that engineers were in the area and would I like one.

Seems to me Scottish Power don't know who has one and is having trouble keeping up. Hopefully I might get some useful information soon, otherwise I'm going to unplug it to save energy. 

How long should I continue to wait?

posted by Davc | 5 months ago

Hi, give it a few days for SP to react to your new meters. You can turn off the IHD it plays no part in sending data.  It sounds as if it is anyway not paired with the meter. After a while check that SP are getting data, check your account, or phone them. 

posted by crkimmings | 5 months ago
Thanks for the reply, I decided to ring SP and they have informed me that 'it can take from 4 to 6 weeks for the signal to be received by the IHD'.

Space to allow time for that to sink in.

Glad to say that I managed not to laugh out loud at this response. I wouldn't say I'm an expert in these things, but it sounds like the bloke who flicks the switch is behind schedule. Nothing can be done until then. So I have a bit of kit that has been installed, but I won't know it works for at least another month. Seems like a sound business model to me....better to say that they are not coping with the roll out of smart meters, I think the problem is bigger than they are willing to admit. No wonder the target for installations won't be met. I can only hope that mine will be working by the quoted 2020 date.
An automated phone message then rang to ask me how satisfied with the call I was. The questions only let me agree positively with the way they dealt with my call, never mind the fact that the response was really unsatisfactory.
Thinking about it...have I just let someone install a bit of kit that they can use to monitor me, but I get no benefit from (until at least a month has passed).
In the meantime I'll phone SP again tomorrow and hope that they manage to pick up the phone before the 4 weeks is up...must cost them a fortune to license their holding music, good to use for background at a party though, free and not your usual rubbish. Just redial when they answer.

Charlie

posted by stuart | 4 months ago

Commissioning engineer did not mention anything about IHD being in demo mode - customer services said they would have to get an engineer out. The other one left 30 minutes ago.  Certainly nobody mentioned about 4 or 6 week wait. Doesn't appear anyone really knows what going on.  Doesn't appear that there is any way I can get it out of demo mode.