Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meter display unit not showing current usage

posted by richard_s | 4 weeks ago

We have just had a smart meter installed. The display unit works as expected except for one thing. The instructions say that when you press the calendar button, the unit cycles through 5 modes: current usage, so far today, so far this week, so far this month, so far this year. Mine does only the 4 “so far...” modes, not current usage.  Am I doing something wrong? I wanted the current usage mode to see the effect of turning different appliances on and off.

14 comments

posted by Davc | 4 weeks ago
Re: Smart meter display unit not showing current usage
I think the first one is current use and then you get four choices on pressing the button, so makes five in total.

posted by Hooloovoo | 4 weeks ago
It took me ages to figure this out. The device isn't the most intuitive, is it?

The "current usage" display works only in electric mode. Not in gas mode or gas+electric. If you press the gas/electric button until it's in electric only mode, you should then be able to get the calendar mode to go to "Usage now". It will show in either pence per hour, kgCO2, or Watts. You need to press the "£" button to finally get the current usage in Watts. It updates every 10 seconds.

The gas is only updated every 30 minutes, which is why there's no real time equivalent of the electric mode.

posted by richard_s | 4 weeks ago
Thanks Hooloovoo, you've solved it.
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Hooloovoo | 4 weeks ago

Glad to hear it.

If you're happy with the answer, please do feel free to mark it as the accepted solution :-)

posted by Howells | 2 weeks ago

Our Smart Meter has not worked since it was installed.

Meter shows correct readings but not sending across to account.  Unable to get any monetary values on Meter

Not impressed at all!

posted by Caroline58Hodge | A week ago
Re: Smart meter display unit not showing any usage figures

Usage figures were showing but have suddenly disappeard to be replaced by 5 horizontal dashes. No usage figures showing for gas or electric across any time frame.

posted by AJJ1964 | A week ago

We had our "Smart" meter installed last year.  To date the only reading we get is from the electric meter.  

We were told on the day by the engineer that the gas meter wouldn't commision onto the network and that somebody would be in contact to sort the issue.......guess what? 7months later still no working smart gas meter.  We haven't been able to enter our meter readings online because the values are lower than the old meter.  

We've sent photos of the gas meter for billing purposes and have finally been given a true gas bill.  Luckily we're always in credit.

HOWEVER!!!  We still have no working smart gas meter even though we have been promised on several occasions that this issue will be resolved.  Time to move supplier...... as we still haven't received an annual refund either.

posted by Jeanmitch | A week ago
I have this problem too. Smart meter not updating online ( gas). The last reading I entered manually in April. Now the actual gas meter just shows blanks. This is holiday home, not been there for 6 weeks, hence got smart meter. Tariff ends shortly, cannot submit meter reading, it's not there on meter! What now? Thought I would be tied to SP because I had the smart meters, but may as well change companies, if they don't work!!

posted by Jeanmitch | A week ago
Any advice, gratefully accepted