Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Smart meter display unit not showing current usage

With smart gas meters you always have to press one of the buttons to get a reading, try it.

posted by Wally | A year ago

To get readinfs from the Gas meter press the central round button, then press the left facinf triangle button. This should show the current meter reading.

If wanting to see/ sheck  the Electric meter reading, simply press the centre button on the vertical set of buttons situted on the right -hand side of the meter.

Good advice Wally, but there are lots of different gas and electric meters with buttons in different places. All gas meters are battery powered and need a button press to wake them up. Many electric meters show a reading all the time. Usually the gas meter sends its reading to the electric meter which acts as a relay hub to send the data to SP and to your IHD. But not all installations are the same.

posted by Jeanmitch | A year ago

Thanks to the person, who told me to press the buttons on the meter, that did bring up the meter reading display. Fixed now!!

posted by Jeanmitch | A year ago
Pressing the buttons on the actual meter, did bring up the missing reading. So thanks for the suggestion

posted by AJ11 | A year ago

I had my smart meter fitted at the beginning of the year and now the display unit is no longer working, I’ve tried switching it off & on, leaving it turned off for days and also putting it next to the meters. I had the smart meters fitted to be able to monitor my usage. I’m not happy at all with it as it now seems to be a faulty unit

Highlighted

posted by Wally | A year ago

I had a similar issue where the basic fault was the in-house display unit could only read the electric meter. A simple remedy - which defeats the ease of use -  is to use the buttons on the electric meter and or the gas meter.

For the electric meter, press the centre button on the right hand vertical flat key-pad. This should display the actual reading.

For the gas meter, press the centre round button, then press the left facing arrow button. This should display the actual gas reading. 

Hope this helped?

Hi Wally. The gas meter sends data to the electric meter which in turn sends to the IHD and to SP. If you have no gas readings on the IHD then your gas meter is not communicating properly and I doubt any gas readings are going to SP. If this is the case you need an engineer's visit to reconnect the gas meter.

I understand gas meters are battery powered for safety and do not have enough power to send their own data so they use the electric meter as a communication hub.

posted by Mike_Sussex | 9 months ago

For most of January my Smart Meter has been showing £1.33 as the gas usage.   The figure is £1.33 in the morning and never changes and so it is impossible to monitor my usage.  The only way I can view my daily usage is by using the left arrow to scroll back over the last week.

Over the last month I have been recording  the daily elec and gas usage using the "scroll back".  I  have noticed that for the last six days starting on 19/2/19, my daily gas usage has been £3.88.  It doesn't seem feasible that the same amount tof gas has been used given the daily variations in drawing off hot water for showers, washing up etc.

It seems to me that Smart Meters are entirely for the convenience of the utility companies and practically useless for the the consumers who have been conned into accepting them as a means of monitoring consumption.

posted by shenda | 4 months ago
Re: Smart meter display unit not showing my electricity usage and the green orange & red indicator d
Re: Smart meter display unit not showing my electricity usage and the green orange & red indicator buttons don’t come on at all