Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Claysales | 2 weeks ago
Re: Smart meter installation fiasco...

I'd arranged a Smart Meter installation. Took time off work to be there for the installer. On arrival he checked the gas meter first and said 'that's not what I was expecting'. he then asked if we had an immersion heater. I replied that it hadn't been used in at least the last 20 years and wasn't going to be used in the future. He looked at it, took a picture and then went outside again to be out of earshot whilst he called SP. He returned and said we couldn't have a smart meter installed because of the immersion heater. I repeated that we had no intention of using it, but he replied that we could sell the house and the new owner might use it. We would have to wait until there were enough people on the list for SP to order different meters that could be used with immersion heaters because the meters were more expensive.  

Here I was thinking that I was paying for everyone to have one installed by paying extra on my bills!! I'm awaiting a response having escalated my complaint to director level regarding my loss of earnings.

It would be easy for SP to ask the question when arranging the install. DO YOU HAVE AN IMMERSION HEATER? IF YES, THEN WE CAN'T INSTALL A METER.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 weeks ago

@Claysales   Amazing tale that immersion heaters are not compatible with a smart meter. Why? I cannot imagine, yes immersion heaters take a large current but so do many appliances like ovens showers and tumble driers. Did the installer give any explanation? It cannot be right what he told you. 

posted by Claysales | 2 weeks ago
@Davc he didn't explain properly, only implied that the standard meters can't handle the high power consumption. The meters that can, he said, were more expensive so SP won't order them until they have enough people who want them. My suggestion of getting someone to disconnect the immersion heater was rejected, as he said it could be re-connected!! SP should be contacting me tomorrow to follow up my complaint.

@Claysales Nobody has ever reported such a thing, it is not correct that SP meters are incapable of handling high currents. I don't know the limit but they of course can handle any currents found in a typical household, even when all the high use appliances are on simultaneously, it would be dangerous if this were not the case.  

posted by Jonnel | 2 weeks ago
@Claysales I agree with Davc - smart meters are supposed to be a straight replacement for existing meters so should be able to handle any domestic current, BUT...

... current regulations are pretty strict on domestic installations. The immersion should be on its own circuit to the board and not, say, be on a fused spur off an existing ring. Nowadays you can't even wire an immersion in off a 13 amp fused switch, it has to be a higher load bearer because a standard 3kw immersion can draw a higher current over time. Is your installation up to current legislation ? SP won't wire into something that's not current (forgive pun).

True there are strict regulations on wiring high demand units like showers and heaters, but the smart meter does not know or care which circuit downstream is causing the demand, it simply has to be able to cope with the total amps no matter where they arise. I think @Claysales  was wrongly advised and the installer should have put in the smart meter, (unless like our other correspondent it is a three phase supply, in which case there would be a problem)

posted by Jonnel | 2 weeks ago
@Davc @Claysales Absolutely Davc. I don't know, I'm just speculating on the meter fitter's reasoning. There was a poster a while back who had a gas smartmeter fitter refuse to put one in their home because the original meter was supplied via a lead gas pipe and the fitter was only authorised to 'swap' meters, not to do restorative works, which would have been needed to attach lead to a modern fitting.

I wondered if perhaps the fitter had seen something not quite right in the domestic wiring and was reluctant to undertake any work he may feel he would ultimately be responsible for by signing it off as safe.

At the end of the day, only he knows.

posted by Jay18 | A week ago
Complete waste of my time, contacted by SP stating my meter needed replaced by a smart one, filled out online form, which stopped me completing stating I would be contacted, was contacted by someone who continued the questions and I explained that my meter is not close to my flat but apparently that was totally fine. Booked an appointment took a day off.
Now being told that a smart meter can only work on one level so they won't be fitting it. Good old SP yet again bloody useless.

posted by Claysales | 7 days ago

So last week I had a sort of explaination from SP regarding the smart  meter and immersion heater. It has nothing to do with the gas meter and they couldn't explain why the installer had made the comment that he did. It's all about the immersion heater and our duel rate meter. Although we have no intension of using the immersion heater, there's a possibility, apparently, that it's wired directly into the night rate part of the meter. (my electrician friend says this is absolute rubbish). We have to wait for a different type of smart meter to become available SP say.

The upshot of all this is I've received compensatioin from SP for the lost time I had to take off work. I'm not pushing them for a smart meter. Tghey can get in touch with me if it ever happens.

posted by Jonnel | 6 days ago

@Claysales You're welcome. Smiley Happy