Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meter usage and readings not available online

posted by Andyk | A year ago

Hi

I have stopped getting smart meter usage on the website for several weeks with just a message saying there is an issue and they are working hard to fix it (not working on it at all it appears to me). I get all the cureent and historical use readings on the smart meter device in the house OK. I am now having to read the meters and enter manual readings again to get any sensible billing from Scottish power. I have tried ringing the helpline several times but always give up as it is never anwsered. Anybody any ideas please?

Many thanks 

Andy

19 comments

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago
Re: Smart meter usage and readings not available online

Unfortunately the usage display that they are "working hard to fix" has been broken for everyone for months now.

posted by jsharkey | A year ago
Anyone know if they are actually trying to “fix” it? I was told it was supposed to be sorted by the 19th of this month...

posted by CAMCAM | A year ago

becoming increasingly annoyed about this.  I've spoken twice to SP and twice it's all apologies and we're aware and we're working on it - the script is getting old.  what's made me even more annoyed is that my direct debit had moved from 66£ to £97 to £123 in the alst 3 months.  not arguing about the cost -  the readings are correct, I've checked,  I knew we were using more (hot tub !!) and I wanted to know whow much more.  But monitoring usage is made more difficult when you cannot see any usage graphs - being able to see and control usage, was that not the whole point of a smart meter ....... Sadly though, I'm taking some comfort that it is a widespread issue and not just me who cannot see usage.

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi camcam, yes it is a common problem. But with your ihd you can easily see meter readings and if you save them in a spreadsheet you can analyse them as much as you want to.  I know the smart system is supposed to do it for you, but this is a possible fix. 

posted by aleian81 | A year ago
I have the same issue. The smart meter reading on the website stopped some time last week, with the same message of working hard appearing on my energy usage.
Funny thing is that a couple of days after they stopped, the reading appeared again on the website for a day and then disappeared once again and never appeared anymore. It sounds like they though to have solved the problem, but probably not.
Considering that this is the second issue I am having (the first one was that the website was not updated with the gas meter readings), I am regretting to have installed smart meters, as I never had any problem with scottish power until I have got these installed. They should not advertise so much to move to smart meters if they themselves are actually not ready for the transition.

posted by Davc | A year ago

Good comment Aleian, but let's shed a tear for SP, they are under great pressure to install Smart meters, and their IT systems clearly cannot keep up, poor SP.  If you have a choice delay a smart meter until 2020 and the system should work by then.  If I were an IT manager in SP I would be working hard on a completely new system because the current one has been adjusted so much nobody knows what is wrong any longer. 

posted by Gixer | A year ago
My smart meter usage in the app stopped displaying in December. At which point it meant my smart meters worked great for 3 months for gas and 2 months for leccy. Somehow I'm finding myself in debit despite no change in my usage. Usually I'd be in credit at this time. SP are working hard to fix the issue with sharing recorded usage in the app. I've pushed them hard on this as we all know they haven't a clue with no timescale. Maybe the developers left or are third parties no longer working with them. Some transparency would be nice. Have escalated but I know they don't really have any answers at customer service level. Quite appalling SP!

posted by MissGruntled | A year ago

Hi, I had this problem three months ago.  In communication with support person or bot called Madhumita, ‘tech team working in it’  and presumably they are still working on it or have given up and gone to live on an island.  Spoke to SP who said I could read the meter through the online account, but hey folks, that’s not working either.  As I am remote from the house (hence the smart meter and app), it’s all a bit pants.  Customer support  team in Scotland are charming, but can’t help.    Come on SP,  person up and fix at least something. Need to know my money is well spent.....

posted by aleian81 | A year ago
I can be very sympathetic with SP, but as far as I am aware there is not yet a mandatory directive to get smart meters installed asap. They could have just waited a little more before launching a massive campaign to move to smart meters. My guess is that the system was working fine with not many people on it. Not that more and more customers are getting these installed, they are getting in trouble! A sensitive thing to do would be to change their advert for smart-meters in the web-page in something like "we are experiencing problems with smart meters. we are temporarily suspending new installations". At least this would avoid the number of smart-meters (and of problems) to further increase until they have a solution. Also, as a good gesture they could offer a little credit, even £10 off from the balance of customers who enthusiastically passed to smart-meters to discover then that it was a nightmare.
In conclusion, yes I do understand that SP may have problems that go beyond their power, but a Company who cares about customer satisfaction would put in action plans like my two examples.