Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Mave | 2 years ago
Re: Smart meters SMETs1 or SMETs2?
Iam new to this and have booked a smart meter for next week. I was hoping i would get genuine readings and no high bills. I really hooe reading all the coments on here and other sites i dont end up with higher bills than iam allready paying. If yout not happy with them can you get them uninstalled does anyone know? Tia

posted by Davc | 2 years ago

@Mave   The smart meters record kWh units exactly the same as the previous meters. However some people get bigger bills because a history of estimates is suddenly corrected.  You should look closely at your bills and see if you have had estimated readings. Also check the closing and opening readings carefully and write them down when the installer comes.

Insist the installer makes your Display unit work, and also shows you how to take manual readings from the new meters in case there is a problem making them work correctly.

posted by Janach | 2 years ago

My smart meter was installed just over a year ago.  Do I assume it is only a SMET1 and therefore likely not to work with other suppliers.  Would like to add that readings have been accurate and not a problem .

posted by Davc | 2 years ago

@Janach   Yes you probably have smets1 but don’t worry, they will all be upgraded so they will work with any provider. Maybe sometime in 2020. 

posted by notnow2020 | A year ago

Not for me. I am capable of adviseing meter readings whenever requested.

posted by M1l2 | 3 days ago

I am confused over the development of smart meters. I have moved house from one that did not have a smart meter, to one that had a very old meter. I was led to believe that the old meters, that could not change their contact organisation would be replaced by a new meter that fed the information to a Government database which was accessible to all suppliers. This would be done in 2020. Now we are getting to the end of 2021, and I still do not know when I will get a smart meter that I can use. Does anyone knpow what is going on, or have all the knowledgible people gone away with the LGV drivers?

posted by DavC1 | 3 days ago

@M1l2   Very old Smets1 meters would probably get replaced by Smets2.  More recent Smets1 can be adopted into the DCC system and would then work with any supplier.   Go ahead but be prepared to send manual readings for a while, you are no worse off than having a conventional meter.  Eventually it will either get replaced or upgraded. 

posted by Kennethvenables | 3 days ago
Please can we have a smart meater

posted by DavC1 | 3 days ago

@Kennethvenables   Please ask customer services, the Community cannot help. 

posted by Gertom1 | 3 days ago

Moved to new flat July 2021. First thing I did was request Scottish Power that the PAYG be replaced. I was informed that I would "be invited to apply" for a smart meter when my area was next being worked on.  That was three months ago and I have not been contacted despite repeated enquiries. I even had a complaints handler say there could be "many reasons" why I have not been contacted and she could not say what these "reasons" were. When I protested that I had emailed and been advised to use chat facility, of which I had been passed through five or six operators before being advised to phone - of which I waited 20 minutes to speak to an operator who advised a complaint - she abruptly ended the call.      I also have gas at my new address, supplied by Scottish gas. This also was PAYG  of which on request was swapped for a smart meter two weeks after I submitted the request.  I am now at the mercy of Scottish Power who seem to have the intention of keeping me connected to this expensive PAYG electricity supply.  At 65, I have never had this inconvenient payment method, and I am fully aware that it is a bloody rip off.  I post here just to get this off my chest. Scottish power have no interest in people👎.