Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meters SMETs1 or SMETs2?

posted by KJWilliams | A year ago

So, having been hounded for months by Scottish Power to change my old meter to a Smart one, I was advised by the representative on the telephone that the meter being installed will be a SMET 2. Has anyone had a meter installed recently? I do not want a SMET1. That is why I have not had one installed so far. I have an install date but want to ensure I get a SMET 2. Can anyone advise if SP are now installing SMET2 as standard. Also, how can I check when the installation engineer turns up that they are installing a SMET2 and not a first generation SMET1? Thanks

13 comments
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Smart meters SMETs1 or SMETs2?

If SP have promised a Smets2 then you are one of the first people to get one. I hope they did not tell a little untruth to get you to go ahead with the Smart programme. Until a few more people report Smets2 we do not know how you can tell the difference by looking at the meter.   The main feature of Smets2 is that it telephones to a Government database, which then in turn sends the data to your provider - SP.   Therefore Smets2 will work with any provider, not just the installer provider.

posted by agpcatman | A year ago

Warning don’t get a smart  meater ,your bill will go up ,then they say your using more not less .when it’s  the fault of the meater.i have solar panels normally I can use electric in day time free or less.now I am told smart meater sends it straight to grid.and because the smart meater is not compatible.so I don’t get free electricity in daytime now so I loose out .my bills are higher but they say the won’t remove them?

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago
@agpcatman - you clearly do not understand how import/export works and how it is billed.

posted by agpcatman | A year ago
You only need to read all the complaints that people are being wrongly charged since smart meater we’re installed.also the power company itself says they are not compatible,and recommend it be removed.i clearly understand when someone takes something for nothing.

posted by KJWilliams | A year ago
Update time. No surprise here I guess... The person booking me in on the telephone was lying to me in order to get me to have a meter. I've spoken to someone else in SP whi have confirmed that SMETs2 are only being deployed in a limited trial. Be aware of the tactics being under by some to sign people up. My installation has now been cancelled

posted by Jonnel | A year ago

KJWilliams - Good to hear someone's had a result. The text message/e-mail campaign to arrange my smartmeter installation only began in earnest last week - I was 'told' four times in the space of two days that they were being fitted in my area and I should make an appointment. When I got the fourth I actually read through all the smallprint and conditions attached and found where I can simply say 'no thank you.' It wasn't easy to find but I filled in a short online questionaire and that seems to have stopped the campaign in its tracks.

At the end of the day, I'm not against smartmeters per se, just against being coerced into having technology that doesn't really work replacing something that does. When SMETs2 have been rolled out and proven to work, I'll probably have one put in, but until then, I'm with you.

posted by ianbaldock | 4 months ago
I have been trying to get my MEATER fixed
For 11 months now, and still waiting to hear from this lot, they promised me that they would have it done by January 21 then in March then June and I have waited since September 2018 and still waiting to here
If that’s not bad enough I have know found out that thay Do not have an Engineer on the Isle of Wight so I want to be getting a meater soon real fun with ScottishPower
WASTED TIME AND REALLY BAD.

posted by ianbaldock | 4 months ago
I can’t get hold of anyone to fix my meater so
Just get a hammer and fix it yourself

posted by ChrisB62 | 4 months ago
I've been waiting 2 years for a smart meter and they simply say we'll get to you as soon as possible and you'll be notified in due course when they are in your are to install them