Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meters

posted by Shadow | A week ago
I had a smart meter at a previous property and didn't really find it very useful except that I could take the meter readings from the IHD.
In my new property I had meters installed simply to stop Scottish power contacting me about it.
With my new IHD it doesn't even display the current meter reading (like the old one used to).
What is the point if I now have to go to the meter to submit a reading?
I am sure the smart meter is useful to Scottish power for their agenda but to a consumer it is of little practical benefit.
Oh well as long a Scottish power can see the meter readings.
I have unplugged the IHD, so at least that will save some energy.
In my new property
7 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Jonnel | A week ago
Re: Smart meters

@Shadow It's true, smart meters aren't really a lot of use to most people. In and of themselves, they don't save people money, it's still up to the customer to turn stuff down, or off.

When all three of your kids are in separate bedrooms, but watching the same thing on TV you'll probably already know you're using three times as much electricity as you could be. Having a display unit telling you that isn't going to persuade them all to go into one room.

I never have understood the need people have for their meters to be read for them, either. It takes me just over 4 minutes to read both of mine, including putting the readings in online. 4 minutes once a month is no biggie for me.

posted by Shadow | A week ago
Thanks for your input. I will resort to manually reading the meters again.

posted by offroaddave | 6 days ago

been with scottish power 10 days total rubbish smart meter doesnt send readings i have to submit readings the app doesnt update energy use or meter readings i call i have online chats and they just fob me off they keep asking me about the IHD which i dont have and they wont supply me with one worst company ever i shall be switching 

posted by Shadow | 6 days ago
Yes, it is becoming obvious the installation of smart meters is just a box ticking exercise to keep the climate change luvvies happy.
Back to the old way of going out in the rain to read the meters once a month.

posted by ann0742 | 4 days ago
Why Is my smart meter not registering in my account

posted by Jonnel | 4 days ago
@ann0742 When you say 'not registering' do you mean the readings from the meter are not showing up on your account or that you account doesn't show that you have a smart meter fitted at all?

posted by Shadow | 3 days ago
The account shows no readings since I had the smart meters installed. (Except any I input manually). Neither are the current meter readings displayed on the IHD (as they used to on an IHD I had at a previous address).
The only thing the IHD shows is consumption and cost per day/ week etc.
The big question is whether the smart meters are communicating with Scottish Power?
Thanks anyway but I have unplugged the IHD. I only wanted smart meters to save me sending meter readings but that will not happen.