Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by lindsayd | A month ago
Re: Smart meters

Prosumer, I would ike the Smart Meter to work as it should do and the Gas Smart Meter to be fitted as previously promised so that I don't have to submit readings.

posted by Davc | A month ago

@lindsayd   We all wish things work would properly, but in your case the meters need to be read manually. If you do not send a reading you will get estimated bills. As you say your account has not updated since May and if it was me I would make sure it is updated to avoid disputes.  Good luck with this.

posted by coates07 | 4 weeks ago

We have a smart meter for electricity that was supplied by British Gas, and has been used by them and EDF and others, but not by Scottish Power. I wonder why. Are they going to fit later versions of smart maters?

posted by RogerA | 4 weeks ago
  1.              .                                                 I had a smart meter fitted by my previous supplie 1st Utility. I supplied my initial readings when switching and am now asked to submit more readings at the end of the quarter. Does my existing smart meter work with Scottish Power? I  had it fitted because of restricted eyesight problems.
Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 4 weeks ago
@RogerA Probably not. I say 'probably' based on SP's asking you for readings a second time. First of all, the meters themselves will record your usage correctly, but probably aren't sending the readings to SP.

Currently, most smart meters can only be read remotely by the supplier that had them fitted. When someone switches supplier the meters' transmissions cannot be read by the new supplier. There is a program underway for ALL smart meter transmissions to be received by a central office which then passes the figures on to the customers' current supplier, but at the moment it is in a trial stage for a limited number of people with SMETs2 meters. There are plans for SMETs1 meters to be upgraded so they can be included in the centralised reading system too but there is no date for this as yet.

In a nutshell - for the foreseeable future you are probably going to have to manually read and submit your figures to SP yourself, but in the future your meters (whether 1s or 2s) WILL be able to be read remotely by SP no matter who installed them. But when that will be is anyone's guess.

posted by petmar14 | 4 days ago

the reason im leaving scottish power is they dont cater for old disabled people  first of all you cant speak to anyone  only machines secondly we are not fit nor trained to read smart meters and third  whast the point of a smart meter if it cant be read by the suplier?

@Shadow wrote:
I had a smart meter at a previous property and didn't really find it very useful except that I could take the meter readings from the IHD.
In my new property I had meters installed simply to stop Scottish power contacting me about it.
With my new IHD it doesn't even display the current meter reading (like the old one used to).
What is the point if I now have to go to the meter to submit a reading?
I am sure the smart meter is useful to Scottish power for their agenda but to a consumer it is of little practical benefit.
Oh well as long a Scottish power can see the meter readings.
I have unplugged the IHD, so at least that will save some energy.
In my new property