Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless “smart” meter!

posted by nikkijayowns | A year ago
Had my “smart” meter installed a couple of months ago, so far I’ve had estimated bills despite the fact the only reason I had it installed is so I wouldn’t have to send in readings! I only have electricity with Scottish Power yet the gas has also been connected and now I can’t give a manual reading to my other supplier as it doesn’t match up with previous readings! What the hell? What a complete waste of time !!
12 comments

posted by lara | A year ago
Re: Useless “smart” meter!

I’m having the same issue - smart metre installed in September. I keep getting estimated bills... lots of random ones too. The other day I had one from May - Sept period (still an estimate). Over the last week I have phoned 4 times asking why.... 1st call, I was told I have to talk to the smart team and given a number to call - it wasn’t the right contractor’s number. 2nd call, they asked for up to date readings from me to ‘see how much I owed’... despite me paying the last bill the day before, I apparently am in arrears by £243. When I questioned how I can trust those reading when the smart metre clearly isn’t capable of doing what it’s purpose is... I was told they had arranged for the smart team to call me and to expect the call by Tuesday (5 days later).... no call came. 3rd call, I was told they would phone me back at 8pm the following day with answers... no call came. 4th call (today) put on hold while they ‘checked a few things’ and after 10 minutes of waiting they cut me off. I assume it was deliberate as they haven’t called back. I’ve been a customer for both gas and electricity for 15 years, have never paid a bill late... they have messed up my bills many times, always resulting in hours of my time sorting it out. On call 2 I checked if there would be any charges if I left... there won’t be... I’m now looking into a new supplier as clearly Scottish Power don’t care either way!

posted by lara | A year ago

Forgot to add that someone came to read by metres several weeks ago, despite eliminating that need being the point of the smart readers... And I still got an estimated bill! Scottish Power told me they had no such record of those readings.

posted by bitman | A year ago

We have a smart meter installed too, the portable gadget failed after 2 days. Just had a request for readings which obviously the meter isn't doing either.
The electric meter shows the feed-in amount, I assume I need to try pressing buttons to get my meter readings. No instruction provided.

Bloody useless! The worst part is they changed my gas meter when they shouldn’t have I don’t even have gas with them! My gas providers are not happy it’s now messed up my bill with them and they have to come out and change it! What an absolute joke of a company! I’m switching too I think!

There is clearly a pattern here! What’s the point in providing a gadget which doesn’t do the job it’s supposed to? I assume it’s to make it harder for us to switch which it supposedly does! Be aware!

posted by ofb1988 | A year ago

i have an ongoing complaint which scottish power are not bothering their arses to reply to. 

i have had these meters installed and they are nothing but trouble. 

my meters auto pick up a reading but it is ALWAYS out compared to the live reading on the meter. 

Absolutely brutal.

Highlighted

posted by johnwsutton | A year ago

The Scottish Power messages states Service is operating as normal however this seems to support the failure of my gas meter to send out  readings . This implies the outage of this Smart Service is fine  with no service since installation in 2017 -August.

Keep up the good work I am sure your accounts department computer is without fault.

How about a Public notice advising all of any operational problems.

John Sutton

posted by johnwsutton | A year ago

This is an update  regarding the gas meter failing to send meter readings to base,

Spoke to a very helpfull lady in the support team this led to a conversation with the contractors who again were very helpfull.Meter to be changed in a few days.

If it all ends well Thank you Sottish Power.

John Sutton.

posted by Wotto | A year ago
Lucky you.
Both my electricity and gas readings seem to be a total mess.

I wouldn't be at all suyprised, however, if following the meter change. You still have problems. I fear the failures are at least in part, in SPs systems

A while back they told me that the so called SMART reader was reading my gas usage. But today I get a letter to say that I need to take action and provide a reading to avoid estimated bills.

I am at the point that I wont believe a word from SCOTTISH power unless its in the form of a letter signed by the Head of Services/ Accounts or equivalent to say that problem has been fixed in full, my accounts are fully up to date and a guarantee that they will not send me any further estimated bills plus a guarantee that in the event that they find there is still a problem I will not be billed for any reading above that reported by the meter at the date of writing i.e the are responsible for paying any errors of their own making