Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by KT | 6 months ago
Re: Why is my smart meter electric only? (New build)

My smart metter only provides electricity reading, the gas is always zero and the gas meter itslef is also blank. SP told me to switch the smart meter off and then back on but that did not work

posted by Davc | 6 months ago
Read the comments above. Gas meter screens are always blank until you wake them with their buttons. It is likely that your gas meter is not connected to transmit but it is also possible it is only your display that has gone wrong.

posted by Frustrated333 | 3 months ago
I've just had smart meter(s) connected. Fitter says he cannot get signal from Gas meter so stays the same. Only electric smart. Great - wish I'd never fallen for the frequent requests to go smart.

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago
@Frustrated333 Yeah, one of tbe things they dont tell people are how many domestic circumstances there are where smart meters WON'T work.

posted by Frustrated333 | 3 months ago

Can I ask to go back to the old meters now they have failed to complete both Gas and Electric conversion to smart?

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago
@Frustrated333 You can ask.... But I think you've got a snowflakes chance in a very hot place of getting them to actually do it.

Things working against you are : SP have government targets to achieve, and only get paid for the smart meters they've fitted when they can show they've been fitted... so you're not a customer now, you're a bogus statistic. They'll say the old style meters are no longer made... which is true (probably) so they can't do it. And 'yes, we'll switch you back, just hold on a mo while we organise that...' and the 'mo' ends up being so long you give up chasing them.

In reality, I would say the chance of getting your meters changed back is directly proportional to the amount of effort you're prepared to put into getting the job done.

So how badly do you want them back?
Highlighted

posted by drgl | 3 months ago
What a surprise(not!)!! I had smart meters fitted over 6 weeks ago, guess what, they couldn't get the gas to work! Was told someone would call the following week, still waiting! Scottish Power aren't interested (lost count of how many times I've contacted them). Total shambles. On a side note this is obviously a nationwide issue over multiple suppliers, my sister lives 300 miles away, different supplier and SAME issue, couldn't get gas meter to connect. Anything where government is involved is a shambles.....

posted by Stu7120 | 3 months ago
O got told today they can't fit gas if it has an earth strap! Health and safety
Rules, they can fit a meter but can't undo a screw

posted by Stu7120 | 3 months ago
Anyone there?

posted by Davc | 3 months ago
Hi Stu. We are the only ones around, no SP. I guess an earth strap is important for the electricity and there may not be any convenient water pipe to attach it to. So if they take it off the gas pipe the electric system would not be safe If you can see an alternative you could move it yourself, it must go to a metal structure into the ground.