Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by johnyjm | 10 months ago
Re: Why is my smart meter electric only? (New build)

had a new meter put in but it only kept signalling every 2 seconds so the gas upgrade was not done. as soon as technician left it is now 5 secondes between blinks but how do i get the gas done now or after the virus thing has finished,

posted by Davc | 10 months ago
@johnyjm. Smart meters do not normally pulse or flash. Some meters blink a red light the speed depending on how many kw are being used. Connecting the gas would have no bearing on the light flashing, but it may be your gas meter is too distant from the electric meter to connect. Probably your electric meter is working correctly Did you get a home display unit?

posted by Dodo | 10 months ago
Re: Why is my smart meter electric only? Old house

13 August 2019

4:00 PM electric Smart meter fitted but connection down so fitter left without leaving anything but office would be in touch.  NO!! 

RANG and was advised  it would  be  dealt with.  NO!!!

Further attempts have proved useless!!!!

Had text "IN Criccieth" please arrange for us to install Smart  meter

I DESPARE.  I AM SICK OF WAITING FOR WHAT ?  INFORMATION .  Monitor? Locked in but phones are working.  Thought I was on special list having health issues?  FYI  as I am isolated and bored

posted by Davc | 10 months ago

@Dodo   From what you say the fitter could not get the meter to connect to SP, that is why he needs to come back, nothing to do with having a display unit.  Meanwhile you should be reading your meter and sending regular readings to SP, something for you to do if bored ?   Press the button on the meter to make it show a reading.

posted by greasborough | 4 months ago
Re: Lack of Smart meter
Join the club Nick50, and you won't be lonely! There is a big group of us all waiting for these fantastic (not available) smart meters. I am still waiting 14 months for the other half to get connected. (I have forgotten now where I put it) A fat lot of use all the advertising has been! Does one hand at SP know what the other hand is doing? If you try to ring them be prepared for a long wait!

posted by johnyjm | 4 months ago
Electricity smart meter installed ages ago. No sign of the gas smart meter. Very smart.

posted by Davc | 4 months ago

@johnyjm   If the gas meter is too distant or outside the building, it cannot communicate, so in those cases gas is not 'Smartened'  Another reason is that electricity is the most easily wasted fuel and will be subject to price penalties at peak times. Gas is only used when it is needed for heat and variable time pricing is very unlikely to be introduced.  Many people argue that gas should not have been included in the Smart programme.  A final reason is that there are relatively few fitters trained on both gas and electricity.

The technology works by making the elecric meter the hub for communicating with the hand held display, the gas meter, and the power supplier.   Neither the gas meter nor hand held display actually communicate ditecly with SP.

posted by Soo_Peet | A week ago
I have had exactly the same issues. Initially after eventually getting to speak to a rep I was told that the issue with the gas should have been resolved in February 2020 but that had failed and was guaranteed to be resolved in November 2020. Not happened! The only reason I had a smart meter installed was because without it I could not have the tariff I wanted. I am now miffed that I have to submit readings. Also the display unit is pointless. If I could get a better deal elsewhere I would.