Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my smart meter electric only? (New build)

posted by RobH | 4 months ago

Hi,

I've moved into a new build a few months ago and the property was prefitted with a smart meter.

After reciving the smart meter display, it was only displaying electricty information. I checked the meters outside and it looks like the electricty is the only smart meter? (It has flashing lights and signal strength LEDs but the Gas box is basic and only shows the gas readings).

Would this be correct and Scottish Power have only given me a smart meter for my electricty? 

It's rather annoying because I still have to make manual readings everymonth for Gas where as the electricty readings are auto populated. My display readings only show half my energy consumption not allowing me to accuratly track costs. It seems a little pointless having a smart meter how its currently set up.

Regards

16 comments
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
Re: Why is my smart meter electric only? (New build)
It is unusual. If you are sure the gas meter is not smart you could request SP to fit a smart one

posted by mcrobbo | 4 months ago
I had similar issues and questions and after an unacceptable amount of chat with a support person and resetting the meter multiple times.
They eventually admitted that they knew the smart meter had a known bug with gas and they are trying to resolve, they suggested I download the app
I did and it also only shows electric
So I dont know how they are getting the gas readings but they are billing me

@mcrobbo Read he gas meter youself and send in the reading like we used to do. The screen will be blank at first but will show a reading if you press its buttons.

posted by Sheff | 4 months ago

I have the opposite problem.

My smart meter was fitted last week, the IHD instructions are for a different meter, and the switch between gas and electricity doesnt work. I can see my gas, but cant see electricity. Amey fitted it, if thats significant. Bit scary that the guy is trusted to fit a gas meter, but cant plug in a display and check it works! How do you get this resolved?

Hello Sheff. The gas smart meter sends its data via the electric smart meter which in turn transmits to SP and to the Monitor. If you can see the gas meter on the monitor it must logically be possible to see the electric readings. Could be your monitor is not set up correctly. Very Odd.

posted by Sheff | 4 months ago

Yes I thought it was odd too.

So I ask again , how does one obtain resolution to this odd phenomenon. Its a brand new installation and it doesnt work.

Maybe it would be easier if I switched to Eon or Octopus. Their electricity and gas are cheaper, and their customer service cant be any worse.

Could it be that your IHD is actually showing the electric reading and is wrongly labelled because it is the wrong sort of IHD?  What readings do the actual meters show? Anyway the setup is wrong and if SP will not fix it then do try a better supplier. If you are in a new build how are your neighbours getting on? Very mysterious. 

posted by Kal | 3 months ago
I have the same problem. Smart meter only showing electricity use. Scottish Power are not answering calls it seems. What should I do next as website is not accepting meter readings

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

Hello Kal   It may be a problem with your display unit, or it may be that the gas meter is not paired with the electric meter in order to send in readings.  Take a manual reading from your gas meter (press its button to wake it up) and send it in to SP.