Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

change supplier while having smart meter

posted by Sharon | 3 years ago

Just a general question.....I have currently had a smart meter installed and wondered if I wished to switch suppliers in the future, does anyone know if this is ok to do? Thanks in advance

10 comments
Highlighted

posted by  Eilidh | 3 years ago
Re: change supplier while having smart meter

Hi @Chrissyw, Yes you will be able to change suppliers as normal the smart meter will not effect this.  Your smart meter will continue to give you the correct readings, it may lose it's smart functionality when you move to another supplier until the smart meter data communications company is up and running.  This means you would be sent requests to update your meter readings manuallly as opposed to them being sent autonmatically.

Highlighted

posted by dnan | A year ago
ScottishPower will hook you in and make it extremely difficult to change supplier. They will also still give you estimated bills
Highlighted

posted by ChrissyVar | A year ago
I have been left with a smart meter from another supplier so the functionality is not there. I am disabled and cannot read my own meter so now I’m left with estimated bills. I’ve tried to get new meter but can’t speak to a real person. Wish I’d never switched now. Can’t wait to go back to my original supplier ... counting down the months
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hello Chrissie, I see your problem, one thing you can try is to look at your home Display unit which should have the readings on it. Another thing is to ask a friendly neighbour to read the meters for you, it is not a good idea to rely on estimates. 

Highlighted

posted by Bettyboob35 | 12 months ago

I have joined Scottish power but have had my meter changed for an old company smart meter . Now I can’t read my meter so I have to use the estimate billing until ScottishPower fit a new smart meter which is taking forever. What can I do?

@Sharon wrote:

Just a general question.....I have currently had a smart meter installed and wondered if I wished to switch suppliers in the future, does anyone know if this is ok to do? Thanks in advance

Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 12 months ago
@Bettyboob35 There is a way to take a manual reading off a smart meter, but it all depends on who made the meter - they all vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you can find a maker's name or serial number on yours you could google it for a users guide or contact the old supplier who had it installed and ask them. With some meters its as simple as pressing the '9' key and the reading pops up on the screen...

You don't want to be billed on estimates for long - they're rarely correct.
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 12 months ago

@Sharon    It is OK to change suppliers, but your smart meter will probably go ‘dumb’ and you have to read it yourself and send in meter readings the old fashioned way. Your home display should continue to work so you can easily get your meter readings from it.  Eventually all the smart meters will be switched remotely so that they will work with any supplier, but that might not happen for a few years yet. 

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 12 months ago

@Jonnel  @whiteowl and others interested in meters. 17 million smart meters are installed now of which 1 million are connected to the DCC system and so can work with any supplier. To complete the smart programme about 50 million meters will eventually be fitted and they will all work through the DCC system  

In the news Ovo Energy are talking about taking over the SSE domestic business, it would make them second in size to British Gas. Shell are investing in domestic supplies and could become a big player in the future. Most suppliers are struggling to make money, they are not profiteering. Prices seem to be falling right now with a price war reported by Money Saving Expert. SP supplies 5 million domestic customers, so it is a mystery why they struggled to handle 120000 EE customers. The problem seems to have been chaotic accounts at EE.   So there are changes happening, when the smart meter programme gets close to completion we can expect a lot of variable pricing according to the time of day. It will pay us all to keep aware of changes. 

Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 12 months ago
Crickey..... 17 million people asking to pay higher tariffs for peak-time electricty !!!!

Time to buy a wind turbine, methinks...