Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change supplier while having smart meter

posted by Sharon | A year ago

Just a general question.....I have currently had a smart meter installed and wondered if I wished to switch suppliers in the future, does anyone know if this is ok to do? Thanks in advance

4 comments

posted by  Eilidh | A year ago
Re: change supplier while having smart meter

Hi @Chrissyw, Yes you will be able to change suppliers as normal the smart meter will not effect this.  Your smart meter will continue to give you the correct readings, it may lose it's smart functionality when you move to another supplier until the smart meter data communications company is up and running.  This means you would be sent requests to update your meter readings manuallly as opposed to them being sent autonmatically.

posted by dnan | A month ago
ScottishPower will hook you in and make it extremely difficult to change supplier. They will also still give you estimated bills

posted by ChrissyVar | A month ago
I have been left with a smart meter from another supplier so the functionality is not there. I am disabled and cannot read my own meter so now I’m left with estimated bills. I’ve tried to get new meter but can’t speak to a real person. Wish I’d never switched now. Can’t wait to go back to my original supplier ... counting down the months

posted by Davc | A month ago

Hello Chrissie, I see your problem, one thing you can try is to look at your home Display unit which should have the readings on it. Another thing is to ask a friendly neighbour to read the meters for you, it is not a good idea to rely on estimates.