Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smart meter not uploading gas.

posted by kanerz14 | 10 months ago
Hi all.

Got a smart meter installed about 4 months ago. had a look at online bill and noticed that no charging for gas. Its uploading electricity fine though I had to manually enter gas read.
Can I ask though, it only given me 4 digits 1723 m3 the entry box has 5 digits. Should I put zero in the front??
3 comments

posted by mrsmart | 10 months ago
Re: smart meter not uploading gas.

this might help as i have the same issue skip to the sp responce.

The gas meter is battery powered for safety, so it does not have the power to transmit by phone and it sends its signal by a short range radio signal to the electricity meter. The electricity meter uses the mobile phone network to send occasional gas and electricity readings to Scottish Power. You can set the frequency of updates from monthly to daily or half hourly. The electricity meter also sends live short range radio signals to your IHD.   The IHD is for your convenience and is not involved in the smart meter transmission process.

The short range radio signal is similar to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but is actually a low energy system called ZigBee. Your home Wi-Fi network is not involved at all.

First generation meters send their data to your provider and do not work if you switch provider. Second generation meters send their data to a government database and so work no matter who your supplier is. First generation meters will eventually get switched to transmit to the government database.

As the smart meter process is well under way now I am surprised that Scottish Power staff are still a bit vague about how it works. Of course consumers don't really need to know the details, but it helps to understand when things do not work correctly.

that’s all fine but apparently they fitted gas and electric meters that will not talk to one another and for over 2 yrs my gas meter readings have been estimated and for over 2 yrs Scottish power has denied any problems. But recently I spoke to an engineer who told me my meter needs comitioning, I contact Scottish power over this and they said

"Thank you for your email. 

Since the date of my last email it has been identified that there is a potential software issue with the gas meter that you have installed at the property. This is also affecting other customers and we are working to identify the exact cause of the fault and if this is in fact a software fault or a signal issue. Based on the information I have received from the installer in your area, your meter has been commissioned so I must apologise that you have been given conflicting information by the engineer who called. Unfortunately at this time there is no fix in place for this issue so there is no timescale for this at present. 

Please be assured your details have been passed to the relevant teams and once we are in a position to resolve this matter you will be contacted. 

Once again I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Kind regards”

This basically means that they are fitting equipment that does not work as I find it difficult to understand how as per earlier description on how they work my gas meter will not talk to my electric meter when they are less than 3 feet apart explanations please.

posted by handerz | 4 months ago

I contacted Scottish power because no gas bill was showing and was told my smart meter was not sending this so I was in credit over £200 and when I did the reading and gave it to them over the phone they worked my bill out but it still isn't showing  and my smart meter is definitely not working what do I do now apart from manual readings

posted by Davc | 4 months ago

If the gas meter is too far distant from the electric meter they cannot communicate and you will get no automatic readings. Stick to manual readings in future.